The power of Pinterest among women ages 16 to 34 is something to behold. The visually-rich social platform is a storehouse where more than 40 million active users get recipes, learn DIY ideas, create wish lists, and shop for the trendiest clothes.
In other words, if you’re a business or brand, and you’re not marketing on Pinterest–you are missing an opportunity in social media. Pinterest can not only potentially increase traffic to your site, you can also increase the reach of your services and products. Once you’ve decided to take the plunge and create your business account, it’s time to make your pins stand out among the rest. How? Rich pins. Check out this cheat sheet on how to make rich pins on Pinterest and read on.
What are Rich Pins?
Simply, Rich Pins are enhanced pins that include more information about a product or article on the pin itself. Also known as “Enriched Pins”, they are designed to stand out and make searching for information easier on Pinterest. Rich Pins provide your potential customers with useful information such as description of product, price, stock availability, and where to find the services online. There are 6 types of Rich Pins:
Pinterest Product Pins
Product pins are perfect for any ecommerce business because they allow you to highlight the price, where to buy, and stock availability. People who have repinned your product will get free notifications when prices have dropped on that item.
Instead of just the caption with the picture that links to your article, this pin highlights important information with a big and bold title, the author of the article, in-depth description, your favicon (logo) with a link to your website.
Recipe pins are great for food bloggers and business in the food industry who offer recipes to their readers. Recipes are taken to the next level by displaying information on the pin such as ingredients, description, cooking time and serving size.
Place pins are great for travelers and travel brands because they display an interactive map of the destination as well as phone number.
Movie pins provide information to readers such as title, year of release, rating, director and stars of the film. It is an easier way to get information on the film without doing too much digging.
This newly added Rich Pin type includes an install button that allows pinners to download your app without leaving the comfort of Pinterest.
How will Rich Pins help my business?
With more information at your customer’s fingertips, Rich Pins can lead to:
- Brand awareness
- Increase in website traffic
- Increased sales
- Automatic updates on products you promote (price changes and availability)
How to Get Rich Pins
In order to apply for Rich Pins through Pinterest, you must have a business account instead of a regular account. When you join Pinterest for free as a business, the page you create can have your important business information such as logo, short description, location and link back to your website. Most importantly, you also have access to Pinterest’s analytics. This lets you know which pins are performing well (Rich Pins or regular) and how many impressions your pins are getting weekly. After setting up your account, follow these steps to apply:
- Step 1:Visit the Rich Pins Overview description page on Pinterest
- Step 2: Decide what type of Rich Pin you would like to apply for and learn about the required Meta tags for each one.
- Step 3: Add SEO Yoast or SEO All in One to the backend of your website for easy application of social meta tags. If you are not able to add these plugins to your site, you will have to manually implement the markup code on the specific page you will use for your application.
- Step 4: Go to Pinterest’s Rich Pin Validator and enter your newly marked up page url for validation.
- Step 5: Click ‘validate’ and it should show the information pulled from the url. Give everything a once-over to make sure information is correct and nothing important is missing. From there, click ‘apply’.
- Step 6: You have now applied for Rich Pins and you should hear back from Pinterest within the next few weeks!
Once your pages and your site are validated for Rich Pins, you can start promoting your brand and become an expert pinner. Happy pinning!